Still playing catch up with posting the rest of my summer makes! We have been busy with homeschooling and blogging has taken the back seat.
Another one of my summer wardrobe pieces is the BurdaStyle yellow striped top from the BurdaStyle issue 02/2009. The dropped shoulders, curved yoke and puff sleeves are actually what sold me on it. This top has been on my must make list for years but I never got around to making it this summer. Better late than never!
Now that it's finally made, I can't wait to try the dress version soon, provided I find the fabulous fabric Burda used for this one below.
The instructions for this top are confusing even in French so I was glad to find quite a few of reviews on PR. I used Kay Y's review and I must say, her pictures were very helpful and allow for a neat finish. It is crucial to note all the markings on the sleeve and bodice pieces, transfer them to the fabric and keep the pattern tissue very close for reference. It made a world of difference. It sews up really fast once you understand the construction.
I used a thin yellow and white striped rayon lycra knit fabric from my stash. I got it from the remnant bin at Hart Fabrics in Santa Cruz a while ago. I cut a 42 but should have cut a 40 as the rayon I used is quite thin. I wouldn't be surprised if later I need to take it in as I did with some dresses I made with lightweight rayon knit.
I lined the upper bodice by cutting the yoke out of a remnant yellow cotton lycra knit also from Hart Fabrics and used it as a facing thus eliminating the need for a neck binding.
I also underlined the bodice with an off-white chiffon/mesh mystery knit from my stash after the top was nearly finished. Ugh!!! My bra was showing through when I tried the whole thing on before coverstitching the hem! That meant, carefully unpicking the upper bodice and sewing it up again with the underlining.
On the bright side, I got some extra practice with sewing the yoke back on, in case I make this pattern again as a dress.
ETA: I wore this top a lot during my summer trip and as I suspected, the neckline stretched out. So, back it is on my sewing table for a quick(who am I kidding!!) alteration.
Lesson learned: cut one or two sizes smaller when using lightweight rayon stretch knit fabric.
Until next time!