Thursday, June 12, 2014

Finally a dress!!!!




I can't believe it's been sooo long since my first post. I haven't bought any RTW since I took Sarah's challenge 6 months ago but I have barely sewn anything for myself. Being a homeschool mom makes it tough to find time to sew. I almost gave up but I held on.
We are finally done with school so I pulled this cute striped fabric I bought last year at Stone Mountain and Daughter during a Fabric shopping meetup in Berkeley. I knew at the time that the fabric was quite similar to the dress I had in mind. I also found the yellow contrast lining knit fabric there.


I used the Simplicity 1358. If I recall, the original dress is from Kensie sold last year by Nordstrom. Since high and low dresses are still popular this summer I wanted to make this dress up first. 





I only had 2 yards each of the striped and yellow so the flare on my dress is not as wide as on the pattern. It works fine I think. I cut a size 12 and had to shave off a couple of inches on each side at the bust mostly due to the fact that I was using a rayon knit. The round back neck is a mistake from staying up late cutting the dress. I kind of wanted the racer back but I'll live with it. The construction went fairly smoothly. I used the yellow contrast fabric for the neckline and armholes. Because of the yellow fabric being a thin rayon knit I reduced the length of the neck and armhole bands. I finished the hem with my coverstitch.
My next project is on my sewing table and is another knock off.  Stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Valerie! I have such a hard time following a pattern from beginning to end. I always have to change it somehow to fit what I envision.

    ReplyDelete