Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Inspired by... Part 3: The Lace Colorblock Top/ New Look 6483

  The Rachel Roy Knock-off.


When I saw the Rachel Roy top, I knew I wanted to make it. I have a lot of lace fabric sitting in my stash begging to be sewn so I thought this top would be a great addition to the wardrobe. 



I made view D of the New Look 6483 which I modified heavily to achieve the Rachel Roy's top look. I used it as a sloper kind of. It is a great basic pattern. Very versatile. I used rayon challis for the front, lace for the overlay and black crepe for the contrast back. They all came from my stash. I cut the lace front piece first and then trimmed it diagonally aroung the floral lace designs. I cut the front floral piece next using the New Look pattern 6247 as a guide, omitting the yoke and adding a lace yoke to the back and a back keyhole button.










This top ended up being my happy accident number 2. Just as the shorts were too tight, this top turned out too small because of my carelessness in cutting the slippery fabric. So I removed the back which was cut out of the floral fabric and replaced it with the same black crepe fabric I used for the contrast on the tuxedo shorts. I then took a wedge out of the front shell and added it to the back piece to cut it as a whole. The result was a roomier top. Phew!!!!! 

I topstitched the lace down on the front piece of floral fabric, used self made bias tape from the floral fabric just like the inspiration top for the neck and armholes. The contrast bias binding add a nice touch to the black lace. I cut the front a little shorter than the back for a high and low look.




 
I'm soooo glad I was able to save this top. I like mixed media coloblocking overall look of it now. 

4 comments:

  1. I love what you did there! So creative and fun. Very inspirational.
    The black lace contrasts brilliantly with the floral fabric to give it a more edgy look!
    Great stash busting too ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! This top has now become my favorite over the striped one because it's perfect for the hot weather. I've been wearing it a lot!

      Delete
  2. Wow!! I just found your blog and this creation simply jumped off the page at me. Do you have any idea just how great this is? Did I mention I love it? I have to try this top.

    ReplyDelete